Saturday, January 23, 2010

Come so far







Life is a roller coaster.

I started in small obscure towns... bilaspur... bhatgaon... ramgundam... then it got bigger (wonder if it was for the better)... Hyderabad.. Kolkata... Delhi...
Lots of places... People.. Friends... Love... Infatuations.. insinuations.. dunno what...
But its been not that hard.

Long back my Grand Pa had a similar story to tell. Although much hard. I remember my dad telling me of the childhood grand pa had. A boy of a small farmer with an average holding, they did not even have toilet at home in the small, far flung village in Bihar. He lost his father at an age when i could not even buy groceries, may be at 7-8. His class room was below a banyan tree in village with the archetypal hindi movie master-ji with a "chadi" teaching them mathematics. He toiled in kerosene lamps/oil lanterns... in fields with whatever resources his mother could obtain from the small holding and farm. Being the elder brother he was also responsible for his younger sibling. He worked hard and he made it. The boy made his mother his brother and his village proud. He qualified for the biggest a village boy could think those days, The Birla institute of technology, Mesra (Ranchi). The struggle did not end there, he further worked hard. Qualified other entrances and made it to the best of jobs, a Railway engineer. He worked his way through hardwork, even worked with Alstom(1960's). Europe...Paris, France.. it all happened to him. He truly is a hero,for all i know about him.

My father was also a much self made man. Became an engineer. A successful one i should say. A government engineer, he followed his fathers footsteps.

My brother had his share too. After years preparing for medical entrances after class 12th.. he could barely qualify for any of the medical entrances. A disappointed one, he left for far down in Chennai in some obscure university to study something (B.E, biotech) he never really thought he would. And struggled enough for four good years to score a mind boggling 88% in college exams. Qualified for a Stanford-Ntu scholarship... left abroad.

And that leaves me. I dunno. I wonder of i was ever cut to become an engineer and to ever succeed in it. Ive struggled throughout as an engineering student. Barely passed and dragged with the course. MBA could not excite me and placements at college only showed me where i stood. I dunno what life has in store for me... I wonder if i would ever figure out what i want let alone achieving it...

No comments: