Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Destiny versus free will

Does god play dice?
-An immortal query by the greatest physicist history ever saw... Einstein.
Before i extrapolate more on the same lets ponder over something we all go through.

I wake up every day. Go about doing my job. Some days turn out great... things keep falling in to place. Some days aren’t that good. Things don’t go as I wanted them to go. Now do i attribute them to destiny or the choices i make? Or in very general terms, is my life predefined? Is there a destiny which governs the way we do things... or the way we are to do things?

Many would agree and many would disagree. I personally in principle attribute all my successes as well as failures on nothing by my own choices, my free will. I believe this because on any fine day I can sit down and prudently think over my past choices and can find that my present situation can be attributed to those past decisions. On the contrary my god-fearing parents, even though they go about doing there karma, believe that even beyond karma there lies a power controlling us all. They believe in destiny. Who is correct?

To answer that lets consider a few questions.
Why is a person born rich and another poor?
Why is someone more talented in some skill than others?
Why some people go on to achieve glory while many people with may be higher skill set don’t?
Why this earth? And
Why does life exist? (Considering the fact that our life governed by the tiniest of atoms, and even a minute change in their proportion in any element can change the whole universe...)

The answer is: There are no conclusive answers. People justify them according to one line of thought or the other. Mind you, they only justify. No one has ever proved what it is.

So terming everything the way it happens as free will, is myopic. It’s just another justification; you cannot prove it in all situations. On the other hand when destiny is concerned; well you can’t prove it either. But it leaves pretty much a lot of room as to what can happen. Destiny can be made from our choices, the same way as destiny is usually presumed to be governing our choices. And this friend is the most overlooked fact.
What I mean to convey is, that there is a middle ground to it.

Life is a sum of choices we make and other variables influence it as well. These variables work beyond our control and form what we can call luck and chance.
For example, Say Tomorrow I leave for an exam and have forgot to take my admit card. And just then a friend was talking about admit card reminded me of the same. And that saved me lots of inconvenience.
Now closely examine. The fact that before the exam, I had not put that admit card in my bag due to my laziness or carelessness was my choice. But that friend and his appearance was an external factor that saved me.

This is what happens every time. Now some people totally attribute that laziness, that choice not to put the admit card in to bag as their choice and coming of the friend as totally normal.....
<----To be continued--->


No comments: